Afyon is a settlement center for five thousand years. It is very rich in terms of historical artifacts. Historical remains belonging to the Hittites and Phrygians, there are rich artifacts belonging to the Seljuk and Ottoman devine. Spas are therefore also active in tourism. Some of the historical and tourist attractions are:
Afyon Castle: Afyon Kalesini made Etiler and repaired the Phrygians. As for the castle defense, the view is striking in terms of its view and majesty. The castle is 226 m high, steep, pointed and rocky, on a difficult hill. This fortress, which resembles an eagle’s nest, has very little contact with the land. It is excavated by a step made with the carving of the kaleye rocks. On the way out, the works belonging to Etiler and Phrygian are found.
The castle is divided into two parts, the inner and outer fortresses. At the top of the castle is the “Girl’s Castle”. The Seljuk Sultan Alaeddin Keykubat has built a mosque, warehouse, armory and water cistern here. The Seljuk State Treasure was hidden in this place.
Castle BC It was built by the Hittite King Mursil-II in 1350 during the Battle of Arzava. It was repaired and added many times, especially at the time of Seljuks and Ottomans. Kaleye has been given various names for centuries. Akreonos, Karahisar names are the most heard of these. Today’s name is Afyonkarahisar Kalesin. The most important repairs and additions to the castle were made by Bedroddin Gühertaş (1325) with the order of Alaeddin Keykubat.
Mahmud Bey was repaired in 1553 by order of Sultan Selim II in the Ottoman period. Today the Fortress of the Girl and the important places outside the cistern are ruined. It goes up the steep path south of Kaleye. Demir Kale: It is located to the north of Demirli village which is 8 km away from Ihsaniye. During the Phrygian times, the southern walls built by cutting the mountains from the inside and outside were destroyed in an earthquake. Gezler Castle: It is in Gezler village, 13 km away from Sincanlı. It is in ruins today. Sandıklı Kalesi: It was built by Germiyanoğlu Bir Yakub Bey in 1325 near Sandıklı and today there is a wall left in the city. Toprakkale: It is near Senir village 6 km away from Şuhut. It is on a hill at an altitude of 2000 meters. There are sunk ruins left. Ulu Mosque: Seljuk period is the most important work in the city. Seljuk governor Sahib Ata Fahreddin Ali’s son Nusreddin Hasan Bey was made in 1273. The architect is Emirhac Bey. Embroideries in the glass belong to Haci Murad, the son of Nakkaş Mahmud. Then the first shape was preserved in the repairs made.
Ulu Cami (Cami-i Kebir), tavan flat and 40 tree poles. The pulpit made of wood and the mihrab are ornamented with the works of Selçuk style. Wooden glass is the most important inside, the roof is the soil. Kuyulu Mosque and Minaresi: One of the beautiful works of the Seljuk period, this mosque is made of minarets with brick. Ak Mescid: It was built by Ketencioğlu Hacı Hamza in 1397 and is a cut stone. One brilliant minaret brick. Arasta Mescidi: It was built by Hacı Ismail bin Mehmed in 1355 and is famous for being the Arasta Masjid because it is surrounded by shops. It is square. Minaresi is short and the only honorable. The dome of the glass is placed on four walls.
İmaret Mosque: Built in the bazaar by the Grand Vizier Gedik Ahmet Pasha. It was repaired in 1795. Inverse T-shape and cut gypsum. Kabe Masjid: The mosque in the neighborhood of Çavuşpaşa was built by Hacı Mehmed bin Yusuf in 1397. This name is called because it is made in the measure of the robe. The walls are basalt stone. The gypsum reliefs in the mihrab are interesting. Kubbeli Masjid: It was built by Hacı Ali bin Idris in the time of Germiyanoğulları in 1330. The door and the book of Arabic are important. The cut is made in stone square. Mısri Mosque: It was built in 1483 by Sakkancıoğlu Evliya Kasım Pasha. Cutting and rubble. It is covered with two large domes. There are chines in various tones of blue in the mihrab. Mineral marble. Beside the glass, there is the tomb of Akşemseddin’s caliphate Abdurrahim Karahisari. Ot Pazarı Mosque: Tellalzade Süleyman Serge was built in 1590. The demolished minaret was rebuilt in 1958. The cut is in stone and square form. Minaresi is the only honorarium. Mihrabı was built later and covered with white marble. Mevlevi (Tomb) Mosque: It was built during 710 years of Islamic raids. It was repaired by Sultan Abdulmecid Khan in 1844 and by Sultan Abdulhamid Khan in 1905. There are turbines belonging to the Mevlevi sheikhs. New Mosque: It was built by Hacı Abdi Çavuş in 1711. Upon the reparation by Süleyman Şerif Pasha in 1839, it was named Yeni Mosque. Cut stone, square and single dome. It’s a brilliant minaret brick. Upper Sunday Masjid: It was built by Karamanoglu Yusuf Bey in 1264 in the Upper Market District. In 1465 Turgut bin Ismail was repaired. Sultandağ Bazaar Mosque: It was built in 1458. The demolished mosque was rebuilt on the same base in 1914. One brilliant minaret brick. Şuhut Kubbeli Mescidi: It was built in 1374 by Emir İbrahim from Hamidoğulları. It was destroyed in the 1863 earthquake, but it was reconstructed in 1864. Bolvadin Rüstem Pasha Mosque: It was built by the Grand Vizier Rüstem Pasha, the architect Sinan. Sultan Abdülmecid Han was repaired in his time. It is covered with a dome with eight windows, and the pen is decorated with work ornaments. Sincan Sinan Paşa Mosque: It was built by Lala Sinan Pasha in 1525. Minaresi is the only honorarium. There are two big domes. To the north of Bahçesin is Lala Sinan Pashan’s tomb. Sandıklı Ulu Mosque: It was built in 1378 by Aydemir bin Abdullah al-Najib. In 1526, Abdullah bin Mustafa repaired it. It is in the form of a fortress, with thick walls built with rubble stones. Minaresi is the only honorarium. Şuhut Ulu Mosque: It was built in 1415 by Hamza Pasha. It was repaired in 1862. Cutting walls is a gravel. There are 4 rows of 16 marble columns inside. Gedik Ahmet Pasha Complex: Mosque, madrasah and bath house were built in 1472. Starting with a five arch-shaped portico, the double dome is the axis of the mihrab dome, and the walls of the mihrab dome are expanded with two side ibis. The burma minaresi decorated with eggplant purple tiles is a wonderful work of Turkish architecture. Uç Kervansaray: It is located near the Ihsaniye district and on the old Aleppo road. It was built during the reign of Sultan Murad Han II. It has two partitions and two floors. It carries the first architectural traces of the Ottoman period. Egret Han: It is on the Afyon-Kütahya road. Although it was built in 1278, it does not resemble Seljuk caravanserais. It has been repaired in recent years. Sahib Ata Caravanserai: It is next to the Çarşı Mosque in the Sultandağ district. It was built in 1249 by the Seljuk Emiri Owner Ata Fahreddin Ali. Also known as Isaac Caravanserai. There is a two-storey pavilion mosque on its garden. The caravanserai is built with cradle vaults. Taşhan: It is in the tea district. Abu’l-Mujahid was built by Yusuf Khan and is also known by this name. The square-shaped inn was built in 1278. Double Bath: Situated in the town of Sultandağ, next to Sahib Ata Caravanserai. It is known for this name because the baths of men and women are side by side. It is in ruins nowadays. Kasımpaşa Bath: In 1475 Tuti Mezakoğlu was built by Kasım Pasha as a foundation of the Mosque Mosque. It was repaired in 1967 by the General Directorate of Foundations. Altınöz Bridge: It is on Akarçay, on the edge of Jirit Kayası. The bridge built by İlyas bin Oguz, one of the Akkoyunlu beylers, has six arches. It was repaired in 1861. Kırkgöz Bridge: 6 km south of Bolvadin is on Akarcay. This work belonging to Selçuklu devrina was repaired and added by Mimar Sinan.
Artifacts belonging to the Hittites: There are rich artifacts about the Hittites in the Afyon Museum and Kalidis and in various places. Works belonging to the Phrygians: hundreds of Phrygian tomb rooms, carved coffins and houses in Ayazin village, castles, caves and tombs around Avdalaz and Köşnüş Castle, Demirli, Döger and Selge villages. Arslantaş and Yilantaş burial chamber. Ihsaniye, Maltaş, Arslankaya, Yilankaya and Kapıkayalar rock memorials. Works belonging to the Romans: The church of the Ayazinler Metropolitan Kayıya (belonging to the 9th and 11th centuries). Roman and Ottoman devine artifacts were removed from the rye mound. 10 km east of Emirdag, near Hisarköy, there are remnants of “A Morium” city of Romans. Remains of the “Synada” city of the Romans in Suhut. Dinar has the remains of the Apameia city of the Roman period. There are works belonging to the Chalcolithic, Hittite, Phrygian, Lydian, Roman and Byzantine periods. Gedik Ahmet Pasha is exhibited at Stone Medres of Külliyesinin. This museum is the richest museum of Central Anatolia. Museum of Turkish-Islamic Works: Exhibits old clothing goods and handicrafts of the region. The “coin collection” of the museum is very rich. The museum is worth the history of the region. Bolvadin houses are a treasure of history and culture. Afyon Museum: It was founded in 1933. It has an eight-thousand-volume book. The museum is in four parts. The first section, the ceramics hall, contains rich pottery and pottery dating from the Hittite, Phrygian and Roman eras. There are sculptures in the classics hall, a collection of money in the meskukat hall, Qur’an-ı kerimler, plates, weapons, costumes, handicrafts and kapkacak in the ethnography hall. Independence War Museum: This museum, which is filled with paintings, paintings, war materials and archives expressing the scenes that have been the scene of the Commander-in Chief Battle, was established in the former municipality. Victory Monument: Austrian sculptor Krippel made this monument, which revived the liberation of Afyon from the enemy (Greek attack) on August 27, 1922. Kocatepe Monument: It was built in 1953 in Kocatepe where the Commander-in-Chief Battle was built. Hot Springs: This hot water hot spring is famous in Turkey and internationally. These springs were known before the Romans. Turkey is a country rich in minerals and spas, and known spa and mineral water is more than 1500. The Seljuks and the Ottomans built baths in Anatolia and everywhere they spread and set up facilities around the spas to ensure the survival of the people of the region from these healing waters. Famous hot springs in Afyon: Gazlıgöl: It is in Hamam Village, 21 km away from Afyon. It is famous for its medicinal drinking water. Rheumatism, sciatica, back and back pain, neuralgia and gynecological diseases in baths; Stomach, kidney disorders and bile stones stones are good drinks. Snack and Shepherd springs near this spa are spills of this water. Gocek: Close the Arable Dera 18 km from Afyon. The Old Hamam (Great Hamam) is known by the name Çelikli or Kapıaltı. Small Baths are known by the names of Kükürtlü or Hacethane. Kaplican’s 68 rooms are available for camping. With bath treatment, it is useful for gynecological diseases, neuralgia, rheumatism, fractures and metabolism disorders, skin and nervous diseases. Drinking therapy is good for chronic flu and throat inflammation. Ömerli: It is 16 km away from Afyon. The temperature is 54 degrees. In the grave stone in Kaplıcada, it is written that this source is found by digging the place with the wand of a herded shepherd named Ömer Dede. There are 42 rooms and two public swimming pools. Bath treatment is good for gynecological diseases, neuralgia, rheumatism, fractures and metabolism disorders. Hüdai: It is one of the famous water springs of Turkey. It is 9 km away from the sandıklı district. It has very high radioactivity. Healing is very high. The spa has 32 rooms, 9 public swimming pools, two mud baths and two natural saunas. Bath treatment is good for rheumatism, sciatica, kidney and gynecological diseases. The mud bath is good for all kinds of rheumatism, nephritis, fracture-dislocation, child polio, neuralgia and gynecological diseases. Heybeli: It is 30 km from Bolvadin. There are three sources, East, West and Hare. Drinking therapy is beneficial for bowel and stomach disorders. Bath treatment is good for rheumatism, neuralgia, nephritis, gynecological diseases. The other hot springs are; Kaya Bath, Uyuz Bath, Kınık Hot Spring and Bülgüldek Bath. Most of the springs and Afyonkarahisar mineral water have been known since the Hittites.
Mineral waters: Afyon is famous for its hot water spas and mineral waters. Afyonkarahisar mineral water run by the Turkish Red Crescent Society was known as “sour water” centuries ago. In 1900, a Belgian doctor informed Sultan Abdulhamid Han that this water was healing, and after 1903 it was opened to run this water with an edict. He won a gold medal at the London Mineral Waters Fair. This water is a unique feature in the world.
The mineral water comes out at Gazlıgöl, 23 km from Afyon. There are two varieties, hot and cold.
Mesire locations: Gecek Spa region in Afyon, Muttalip Vineyards near Keltepe, Soğuk Pinar and Yeşil Depir villages near Sandıklı are popular places for the public.
Afyon is an ancient Turkish homeland and it is a historical city bearing historical works, castle, cream of sugar, poppy, spa and mineral waters and all the necessary conditions for tourism.